Knowledge Management Collaborative
United Philanthropy Forum’s Knowledge Management Collaborative is both a transformational technology service and an invaluable peer-learning community. Over 30 philanthropy-serving organizations have joined forces to create, maintain and continually improve our industry-leading technology platform powered by Salesforce and Drupal. By leveraging collective purchasing power and expertise, the Forum and our members have created a unique platform that offers significant operational efficiencies, a group of peers to consult and a robust feature set at a fraction of what a system of its caliber would cost individually.
Built using Drupal, the leading open-source content management system, and Salesforce, the world’s #1 customer-relationship management service, our platform is designed to scale and evolve. It supports robust, user-friendly websites fully integrated to a powerful membership database, reshaping a PSOs ability to track and respond to their constituents’ needs. Features range from automated membership processing and customizable event registration to online membership directories and virtual collaborative workspaces. Its modular design balances group and individual needs, allowing partners to choose components based on their specific needs and budget. Together we have created a collaborative community that is transforming each partner’s organization.
Whether you're considering joining our collaborative or a current partner looking to take your work to the next level, you'll find the resources you need in this section. The materials compiled here include guides to our website platform, our database and relationship system, and our Collaborative's structure and function. Ranging from blog posts to video recordings to instruction manuals, there are a wide variety of resources to help you learn about and build your skills on our platform. Any materials found here are for you and you only; they are not to be shared with vendors or external organizations.
= United Philanthropy Forum resource.
In this section, you'll hear directly from our partners and vendors on what being part of our collaborative has meant to them and their organizations—and the lasting impact it has had. You'll also find the updates on what's next for the platform and collaborative, among other news.
The KM Collaborative Community is for partners of our database-website platform. Made up of staff from more than 30 institutional collaborative members, it is a dynamic and supportive group whose members range from ‘power users’ to novice members.
With the support of the Forum staff, members work together to manage and improve our custom-built Drupal-Salesforce platform and resolve any emergent issues.
How We Communicate
- Weekly Office Hours calls featuring updates on platform projects and an open-ended discussion portion during which any member can ask questions of the group;
- An annual one-and-a-half day in-person gathering, known as the Users Group meeting, that follows the Forum’s annual conference and includes discussion of potential group projects, upcoming updates, and separate tracks for new and advanced users.
- An active Slack workspace with dedicated channels on core topics, such as Drupal and Salesforce, and breakout discussions on special items, such as taxonomy or Dreamforce.
How We Manage the Platform
- Ad hoc topic-based working groups that convene volunteer members to work on issues like documentation or engagement scoring.
- A five-to-eight member Knowledge Management (KM) Committee that meets at least quarterly to discuss the future of the Collaborative and make recommendations to the Forum Board of Directors on major issues.
- A six-to-eight member Advisory Group of ‘power users’ that meets weekly whose responsibilities include overseeing the collaborative’s customizations budget, supporting Forum staff in managing vendors, providing technical expertise, and providing high-level updates and guidance to the KM Committee.