On October 4th, in conjunction with the Philanthropy + Policy Institute, United Philanthropy Forum is seeking to mobilize thousands of sector leaders and advocates in support of the Charitable Act (H.R. 3435/S. 566).
The Forum asking the broader charitable sector to join together on October 4th for Philanthropy Day of Action and advocate in favor of the legislation, which would incentivize millions of more Americans to give and support their communities by restoring the non-itemizer charitable deduction.
To assist with the #PhilanthropyDayofAction, the Forum has designed a PSO Engagement Toolkit and resource page. The toolkit and resources were also developed to guide and bolster sector advocacy efforts on October 4th in support of the Charitable Act.
How Can Sector Leaders and Advocates Engage on the Philanthropy Day of Action (October 4th)?
The toolkit also features scripts, sample language, and graphics for PSOs and foundations asking legislators to co-sponsor and support the Charitable Act, or thanking them for their support. On October 4th, you may advocate using these methods:
- Calling Your Member of Congress (House or Senate)
- Emailing Your Member of Congress via the Forum Advocacy Action Center
- Posting Advocacy Ask to Your Member of Congress via Social Media
Why Participate In The #PhilanthropyDayOfAction?
A recent article from Politico highlights polling from Independent Sector showing broad bipartisan support for robust tax incentives for charitable giving. Specifically:
- 87% of voters support restoring the universal charitable deduction permanently for all taxpayers including 51% of voters who strongly support this giving incentive.
- 8 in 10 voters (82%) support expanding the universal charitable deduction to up to $4,500 for all Americans, including at least 80% of Republicans, Democrats, and Independents.
- Over half of voters (53%) would give more if they were able to claim the charitable deduction.
As 2022 was one of the worst years in philanthropy history with giving dropping 10.5% after inflation, the Charitable Act presents the best opportunity the sector has had in years, to make the universal charitable deduction a reality. Given such strong support for a universal charitable decution, a concerted and collective effort by PSOs and their foundation members has the ability to bring renewed awareness to the legislation and garner more support in Congress.
How can PSOs use the Engagement Toolkit?
- The purpose of the Charitable Act Engagement Toolkit is to guide PSOs as they work to mobilize their staff and foundation members on October 4th, in support of the Charitable Act. It includes resources, sample language, graphics, and more for promoting the Day of Action to foundation members.
- PSOs can download graphics and logos from the Philanthropy Day of Action Resource page. The resource page includes graphics for PSOs to use in mobilizing their foundation members and while posting on social media asking lawmakers to co-sponsor the Charitable Act.
The Forum urges member-PSOs to join us by mobilizing the broader sector during the Philanthropy Day of Action, on October 4th, in support of the Charitable Act.
|United Philanthropy Forum- Charitable Act Engagement Toolkit - Fall 2023.pdf||4 MB|
|Charitable Act Co-Sponsors.pdf||146.18 KB|