Inicio Ventures Overview
Inicio Ventures is an early-stage impact investment fund that backs Latinx founders across markets and industries, partnering with them to refine their ideas and scale their businesses. We believe Latinx founders bring remarkable ingenuity, incredible determination, and rich life experiences to their startup companies—yet they receive a tiny fraction of the funding and opportunities available to other groups. Inicio Ventures was formed to help close that gap by ensuring that Latinx founders can build equity and wealth in the startup economy. To complement our investment work, we manage LATINX Launchpad, a pitch competition series focused on growing the talent pipeline and a Venture Fellows program for grad students interested in being the next generation of Latinx investors.
Hispanics in Philanthropy Overview
Inicio Ventures, LATINX Launchpad and our Venture Fellows programs are part of Hispanics in Philanthropy’s (HIP) Startup Economy Wealth Generation impact pillar. HIP is a transnational network of grantmakers committed to strengthening Latinx communities across the Americas. HIP connects and convenes funders, nonprofits, researchers, and other leaders to identify emerging needs among Latinx as well as best practices for responsive and effective funding of social change. HIP pioneers new philanthropic models by leading collaborative initiatives and has provided grants and training to help build the capacity of more than 800 organizations and leaders.
This is a full-time summer position for graduate-level candidates interested in blending their venture experience with positive impact. You will have the opportunity to be actively engaged across all of our investment related programs. The type of projects you will support and ultimately manage will vary by goal and scope. Through this work, you will grow your investment acumen, domain expertise, industry relationships, and understanding of the needs of the Latinx innovation community.
- The primary responsibility of the Summer Venture Associate is to support across investment/fund related programs within Inicio Ventures
- 60%-75% of your time will be spent on supporting startup deal sourcing, diligence, closing and managing and, when appropriate, exit investments for Inicio Ventures initiative
- Along with peers, you will be responsible for creating effective qualitative and quantitative models and reports
- Provide project management support as needed for other current or new Inicio Venture related programs (Inicio Venture Pitch Awards, 100 Rising & Latinx Startup Registry, Venture Fellows and GFS Summit/Collaboration).
- You will follow established processes and influence the improvement and addition of processes
- Provide additional flexible support for operation and other programmatic projects, activities and tasks
- Current or recent MBA/Graduate level student role preferred or 2+ years of related work experience or equivalent life/work experience
- 1+ years of either early venture or impact investment experience and/or related accelerator, incubator or similar ecosystem builder experience and/or founder/executive at venture or impact startup
- Demonstrated commitment to racial equity and supporting the Latinx community
- Go-getter attitude and upbeat work style
- Outstanding analytical, quantitative, and communication skills (including excellent spreadsheet modeling and powerpoint/slide development)
- Enjoys and thrives in supporting multiple concurrent workstreams
- Comfortable working in a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment (a self-starter and resourceful)
- Has exceptional personal and professional ethics and integrity
- Enjoys collaborating with a spectrum of seniority levels, internally and externally, and from different backgrounds and experiences
- Has a history of being a creative problem solver
- Ability and easily adaptable to use of business related software
This is a full-time position (40 hours a week) for 12 weeks at an hourly rate of $30 (approximately $15,000).
This is a remote position. Employees are required to comply with COVID-19 health and safety measures consistent with CDC guidelines, and federal, state, and local regulations.
How to Apply:
Hispanics in Philanthropy is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.