Position: Senior Director of Data and Reporting
Organization: Lucile Packard Foundation for Children's Health
Location: Bay Area, CA
About the Organization
At the Lucile Packard Foundation for Children's Health, we are a team of dedicated individuals with a shared commitment to helping kids and families live healthier lives.
We do this by:
- Fundraising for Lucile Packard Children's Hospital at Stanford and the maternal and child health programs of Stanford University School of Medicine.
- Raising awareness of children's health issues.
- Promoting a system of care that improves the lives of children with special health care needs and their families
Reporting to the Associate Vice President of Advancement Services, the Senior Director of Data and Reporting (“Senior Director”) will be responsible for leading all aspects of data and data governance, including data management, business intelligence and a CRM conversion. The Senior Director will work closely with the Foundation’s revenue teams and senior management to understand the “why” behind data needs and build world class enterprise-wide data systems to support business intelligence that will help guide fundraising strategy toward the Foundation’s $200 million goal.
The Senior Director will directly manage a team including:
- The Director of Development Systems, responsible for maintaining all data systems and flows across the organization, including Blackbaud The Raiser’s Edge 7, SQL, Alteryx, and Tableau.
- Assistant Director, Database Administration, responsible for collaborating with the Senior Director to assess the organization’s data needs, and for overall database maintenance; oversees Database Manager and Associate.
- Database Manager and Database Associate, responsible for the help desk, ad hoc reporting, training, and data imports and audits.
The Senior Director will join the team midway through an initiative to develop an enterprise-wide data infrastructure to support the efficient use of data to drive fundraising strategy.
This role must be physically on-site in the Palo Alto office two days per week starting in February 2022; before this date, the role will be remote.
General Position Duties and Responsibilities
- Serves as a thought leader to optimize use of data to drive organizational strategy and oversees data governance to support enterprise-wide business intelligence, using The Raiser’s Edge as the database of record.
- Develops, implements, and maintains policies and procedures for enterprise-wide data management.
- Provides change management leadership to ensure full understanding and adoption of enterprise-wide common definitions, usage of data fields and data practices.
- Enforces data discipline, policies, and accountability.
- Ensures compliance with data governance policies across all teams and brings compliance issues to the attention of the Associate Vice President of Advancement Services for resolution.
- Builds buy-in for the partnership model approach (as opposed to a service bureau approach) to data and reporting throughout the organization.
- Oversees RE7, Tableau, and related data tools training curriculums.
Data Integrity, Reporting and Analysis
- Partners with senior management and revenue leaders to design reports and dashboards to help direct fundraising strategy and address the most impactful organizational objectives.
- Identifies data insights to drive understanding of trends to provide strategic guidance for Foundation priorities.
- Manipulates and analyzes large data sets (industry and LPFCH) to determine meanings, insights, and recommendations.
- Creates or validates data sets and data models in partnership with the Director of Development Systems; ensures consistent use and control of data models throughout the organization.
- Ensures appropriate systems and procedures are in place for identifying data integrity risks.
- Ensures a high level of service, productivity and adherence to quality standards, deadlines, and procedures.
- Serves in a back-up and/or overflow capacity for data and reporting staff as needed.
- Develops self service data and dashboard.
Data Workflows and Process
- Maintains a detailed working knowledge of most (if not all) data flows and processes required to record, report, and analyze Foundation fundraising activity in The Raiser’s Edge 7, including gift records and reconciliation, funds and fund transfer processes, principal and major gifts, pipeline development, campaign reporting, midlevel and direct response fundraising, community engagement (both in person and online) and more.
- Identifies ways to influence and drive process improvements in the Foundation’s data management and reporting practices and makes recommendations accordingly.
- Supports team growth as business and process analysts and project managers to develop a culture of continuous improvement.
- Establishes a culture of cross-training to promote skills and strength in process improvement and documentation.
- Prepares The Raiser’s Edge database for a CRM conversion.
Technology Tools and Data Architecture
- In partnership with the Director of Development Systems, designs and maintains the fundraising data and reporting technology tools.
- Maintains familiarity with marketplace offerings for CRM solutions and other products to support the modernization of workflows and technology architecture.
- Identifies and implements additional tools and solutions as appropriate.
- Supports team strength by identifying and supporting opportunities for team members to expand skills and contribute to solutions through growing their experience with Alteryx, Tableau, advanced Excel tools and skills, and other tools to support data processing, transformation, reporting and data visualization.
- Supports an organization-wide culture that puts the mission first, fosters a strong community that supports the good of the whole, and reaches for excellence by “making it happen” and being willing to take risks by being “bold and bendy”.
- Leads data and reporting team including hiring, training, coaching, providing feedback and professional development.
- Promotes a work environment where staff feel engaged, valued, and can do their best work.
- Embraces diversity in all its forms to ensure departmental and Foundation staff are treated with respect, dignity, and empathy at all times and in all situations.
- Recognizes staff accomplishments and achievements at the individual and team level and regularly seeks opportunities to express gratitude and appreciation.
- Leads and/or assists with special projects as needed throughout the Foundation.
Education and experience candidates must possess:
Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education, training, and work experience suitable for the position.
- 8+ years of experience working in fundraising operations, with specific experience working in data and systems in a large nonprofit organization or academic medical center.
- 4+ years of experience leading a team, including mentoring and developing staff and managing remotely.
- Experience using The Raiser’s Edge (RE 7) is required.
- Knowledge of the basics of a relational database.
- Experience driving an enterprise-wide data strategy.
- Experience managing teams through change and driving organization wide culture change.
- Experience developing (or managing a team to develop) creative data outputs including dashboards and visual reports, bringing data together from multiple sources.
- Experience leading or being a senior partner in a major data system upgrade or equivalent experience (CRM conversion).
- Strong preference for experience with Tableau or comparable platform.
- Preference for experience with Alteryx or SQL skills and ETL support experience.
- Collaborator and Communicator: Ability to collaborate across the Foundation’s teams and functions to build a strong understanding of congruent and competing needs. Ability to prioritize and synthesize those needs into a clear vision and to align all stakeholders under that vision.
- Strategic thinker with data expertise: Ability to define complex problems, isolate all possible solutions, and choose the best path forward. Ability to use and share data insights to inform and drive the highest-level strategic decisions.
- Empathetic and effective manager of teams and people: Ability to partner with staff to set goals, track progress to those goals, and provide consistent and clear feedback to foster staff growth. Ability to build authentic relationships with staff to build an engaged, connected, and inclusive team culture where every member feels and is driven by the value they bring to the organization and to the mission.
- Customer service focus: Ability to listen and hear non-technical stakeholders articulate their business needs, clarify those business needs, and work collaboratively towards a solution that addresses the stakeholder’s business needs and aligns with overall enterprise-wide data governance.
- Innovator: Ability to think “out-of-the-box” and drive innovative and creative thinking and problem solving within the team. Ability to clarify the actual need of a fundraising team (e.g., a story they want to tell and how they want to tell it) and create efficient and effective solutions to help them to capture the correct data to meet that need
We know that building a diverse and inclusive workforce is key to our success and enables us to do extraordinary work for kids and their families. When you become part of our team, you’ll be joining a group of passionate and dedicated individuals who truly care about and believe in the work they do.
We provide competitive compensation and a wide range of benefits designed to meet the needs of our employees and their families. We are strong supporters of work life balance.
The Lucile Packard Foundation for Children’s Health is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.