Position: Outreach Lead
Organization: Philanthropy Missouri
Location: Kansas City, Mo
What is Philanthropy Missouri?
Founded in 1970, Philanthropy Missouri (PhilMO) is a philanthropy-serving organization (PSO). A statewide nonprofit membership association for Missouri grantmakers, our Members include corporations, trusts, donor-advised funds, foundations, and professional advisors actively involved in the philanthropic sector. We strengthen philanthropy and promote equitable community impact by providing innovative programming, research, networking, advocacy, professional development opportunities, and other technical assistance for and with our Members. PhilMO is an engaged member of the United Philanthropy Forum, the largest network of PSOs in the United States. Our work is undertaken in service of our:
Vision: We envision a thriving and equitable Missouri, served by a collaborative, purpose-driven,and effective philanthropic sector.
Mission: To equip, connect, and energize our Members and partners for thoughtful action and greater impact.
In 2021, Philanthropy Missouri unveiled a new name and commitment to serve the entire state of Missouri. Outreach work was successfully piloted in Southwest Missouri. The Outreach Lead will work collaboratively with a small team, particularly the Vice President and CEO, to support expansion to build a network of funders interested in strengthening philanthropy and promoting community impact in Missouri through networking, education, and collaboration. The Outreach Lead will start with a focus on Kansas City and will also need to be able to travel throughout the state to support Membership development statewide.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities for Outreach Lead
Strategic Community Outreach & Prospecting – 55% of time
- Activate a network of funders in Greater Kansas City and expand to other areas of Missouri
- Cultivate effective working relationships with prospective Members, Members, community organizations, PhilMO Board and committee members, and other staff
- Inform organizational strategic goals for Member recuitment
- Engage and connect with existing Members in Greater Kansas City and develop new partnerships with those working to support dynamic regional grantmaking
- Steward relationships, connections, and information sharing among Members, other funders, and various regional and statewide stakeholders
Member Support - 30% of time
- Support Program Lead in designing and hosting programs in outreach footprint
- Respond to Member requests for resources and support; map, maintain, and visually present data to provide insight and awareness about community needs, current and ongoing regional funding by foundations, government agencies, and others
- Inform organizational strategic goals for Member programming and services
- Administer and engage with funders via electronic distribution lists and listserv, contribute to website, e-newsletters, annual report content, and other Member communications and community outreach
Sector Learning, Research, & Reports – 10% of time
- Maintain familiarity with the literature and evolving landscape of philanthropy, development, and nonprofit management
- Staff sector and topical research projects as needed
- Ensure a high level of accountability through consistent and appropriate translation of work-related activities into progress reports for staff and Board of Directors
Miscellaneous- 5% of time
- Provide staff support for special projects or activities as needed
- Engage actively in strategic planning and team development
- With supervisor, identify and pursue meaningful individual professional development
Required Qualifications, Skills, and Attitude for Outreach Lead
- Enthusiasm for PhilMO’s mission and Commitment to strengthening the philanthropic sector in Missouri
- Be adept and invested in developing new and existing relationships to build strong and strategic partnerships among a diverse set of funders and other stakeholders
- Curiosity and passion for learning and growth-centered operating principles
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and cultivating inclusion across identities, beliefs, and lived experiences
- Superb attention to detail balanced with capacity to navigate the unexpected
- Agile self-starter who knows how to manage time, prioritize, focus, and get things done, tackling challenges along the Ability to work problems independently and arrive at viable solutions upon receiving initial direction.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Exhibit a high level of flexibility, organizational skills, enthusiasm, ethics, diplomacy, humor, and the ability to maintain confidentiality
- Willingness to travel statewide as needed to support the network required; prefer access to reliable personal transportation
- Ability to work occasional early morning and evening hours to support events
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and work/lived experience
Preferred Qualifications & Skills for Outreach Lead
- Prior experience in recruiting, sales, advocacy, and/or group facilitation and programs
- 2 or more years of experience working with grantmakers, nonprofit service providers, or intermediary organizations serving the nonprofit sector
- Nuanced understanding of the field of philanthropy (e.g. corporate social responsibility, charitable giving, impact investing, etc.) and critiques of the sector
- Comfortable using Microsoft Office Suite and Cloud-based document Experience with Salesforce is a plus
To Expand to Full-Time, Communications Functions may be added
To maximize the possibilities of our new brand and statewide footprint, we are making a targeted investment in communications. Related functions include working with the CEO to design and deploy a strategic communications plan. Activities will include drafting and publishing our regular Member newsletter, collaborating with the team to ensure website content is engaging, working with the CEO and other partners to cultivate dynamic blog content, and differentiating then growing social media channels to effectively drive strategic goals.
If you have a background or training in Communications and want to apply for a full-time role, we welcome you to indicate you are interested in Full-time Outreach + Communications Lead.
- Salary (informed by hours and experience).
- Part-time Outreach Lead range is $25,000-33,000.
- Full-time Outreach+Communications Lead range is $48,000-65,000.
- Flexibility in Work Schedule & Location. This position is fully remote, though we request employees work atl east 51% of the time in Missouri (some exceptions possible).Generally, the PhilMO team works when and where they are most when and where they are most productive.
- Holidays & Time Off. All team members qualify for 15 paid holidays and paid time off (PTO).Full-time PTO begins at 15 days annually; part-time PTO is prorated based on hours.
- Professional We invest in the development of each employee. All team members are expected to engage in – and may propose – team and individual learning.
- Community Time is allocated monthly for team members to serve in a variety of community-facing roles.
- Insurance (Full-time Only). 80% health, dental, vision, and 100% life premium coverage for employee; 50% for dependents.
- Retirement (Full-time Only). 3% salary contributed annually (no employee match required).
Commitment to Inclusion
PhilMO actively cultivates an inclusive environment where team members of diverse identities and backgrounds will thrive. We believe philanthropy and PSOs are most effective when our staff and leadership reflect the rich diversity of our communities. PhilMO is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Timeline & Process to Apply
Application Contact: Carla Brown, Operations Associate, email@example.com, 314-621-6220
Application Deadline: Rolling with initial interviews beginning May 9, 2022
- Complete applications must include: your updated resume and a cover letter that specifies:
- What you are applying for: part-time Outreach Lead or full-time Outreach+Communications Lead.
- If applying part-time, the number of hours per week you propose to work
- The nature of your interest and experience as related to this opportunity at PhilMo
- Submit your complete application via email to Carla Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Subject Line
- Please use the following subject line for the part-time role: “Application for Part-time Outreach Lead - [Your Name]”
- Please use the following subject line for the full-time role: “Application for Full-time Outreach+Communications Lead - [Your Name]”
- Include Cover Letter and Resume as PDF attachments
- Subject Line