Position: Membership Director
Organization: PEAK Grantmaking
Location: Washington, DC
PEAK Grantmaking’s Membership Director is responsible for growing and maintaining a national network of more than 4,000 grants management professionals, providing leadership to engage them in realizing our mission to improve how grants get made. Leading membership programs, services, and operations, the Director ensures members receive a high quality of service experience and maintaining a high level of interface with PEAK’s members. The Director designs member recruitment, engagement, and retention strategies that are rooted in data and member input. In addition, the Director oversees regional chapter activities, as well as an active volunteer program which engages more than 200 member-volunteers each year. The Director supervises the Membership Relations Manager, and the Regional Chapter Manager, and Membership Operations Specialist positions and reports to the Chief Operating Officer.
Key duties and responsibilities include:
Development, Member Retention, Recruitment, and Engagement
- Increases member engagement and retains members by studying, evaluating, and redesigning engagement strategies – establishing engagement metrics, implementing communications and marketing campaigns to increase engagement, and monitoring and analyzing results to inform strategy adjustments based on what was learned.
- Leads efforts to raise up to $1.3 million (or annual budgeted revenue goal) in membership contributions.
- Prospects and develops pipeline of potential sponsors to generate revenue through restricted and unrestricted funding opportunities.
- Coordinates and leads programs for annual sponsorship, annual conference exhibitors, and generation of other contributed support.
- Collaborates with communications and marketing director to develop marketing strategies and tactics to acquire new members and achieve annual growth targets.
- Ensures a high level of customer service to ensure prompt and courteous resolutions to member inquiries and applications, defining goals, developing trainings, and reviewing policies and procedures to continuously deliver and improve quality member services and customer care programs.
- Monitors, assesses, and responds to ongoing interests, needs and expectations of members to increase PEAK’s value proposition, including making recommendations to add or discontinue benefits as needed.
- Develops and implements plans to ensure success of PEAK’s volunteer program and recognition efforts, resulting in a positive and productive experience for volunteers.
- Communicates on member engagement topics to the membership and the field through social media, blog posts, and other platforms, and represents PEAK at member and sector events.
- Oversees and directs database management and customer relationship management systems, including training and usage.
- Ensures data accuracy and integrity of database and engagement tracking systems.
- Oversees user/member experience including online commerce function for membership, publications, and member portal.
- Manages annual conference and regional chapter event registration functions within the membership department.
Management and Leadership
- Serves as liaison with management and staff in all departments to build a strong membership culture within the organization and work together to implement engagement strategies.
- Manages relationships with internal and external stakeholders and funders to help PEAK Grantmaking reach its strategic and financial goals.
- Exercises fiscal responsibility to develop departmental and program budgets and control expenditures.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws including interviewing, hiring, training, and coaching employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; and addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Promote an organizational culture that fosters passion for the mission, cooperation, open and frequent communication, teamwork, and a common organizational vision.
- Incorporates diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) into work assignments and department efforts, while continually building personal knowledge and experience.
- Works to actively identify and address organizational issues and opportunities.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to interact effectively, efficiently, and professionally with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently on assigned responsibilities.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, projects, and priorities effectively and professionally.
- Discretion and sound judgment on setting and adjusting priorities is required.
- Demonstrated experience in strategic planning, project management, and budgeting.
- Extensive experience and working knowledge of association management systems, including using member data to drive strategy and decisions.
A comprehensive salary and benefits package will be offered. The salary range for this position is $98,680 - $103,000 commensurate with experience.
- Must be able to use the phone and computer, sometimes for prolonged periods.
- Must be able to travel nationally, on average 2-3 days per year.
Location and Work Environment
Our offices are located in downtown Washington, DC, near public transportation. Locals are encouraged to work at least one day a week in our office and may choose to work there all five days. This space is a shared office suite environment with moderate noise (e.g., colleagues’ conversations, computers, and printers) and light traffic.
Work-from-home and non-standard (flex) working hours are also available for this position. Many staff are virtual, and you will be required to maintain core working hours from 10am – 3pm ET to accommodate peers across all time zones. You will be required to use collaborative software and video conferencing to stay in touch with co-workers and colleagues.
Equal opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles of PEAK Grantmaking, where employment and promotional opportunities are based on individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation/affectional preference, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, or any other protected category as established under law.
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com