Position: Finance Manager
Organization: United Philanthropy Forum
Location: Washington, DC
Do you love working with numbers and have a passion for managing finances in effective and innovative ways to drive an organization's mission? Do you want to work at a job where you're making a positive difference in the world? Then join the United Philanthropy Forum team!
Reporting to the CEO, the Finance Manager is responsible for the Forum’s accounting and bookkeeping functions. Following generally accepted accounting practices, the Finance Manager ensures that the Forum’s finances are accurately and correctly reported, up-to-date, and available to support management decisions. In addition to daily financial operations, the Finance Manager is also responsible for preparing monthly financial reports, coordinating preparation of the annual budget and quarterly forecasts. The Finance Manager is responsible for preparing the Forum’s year-end financial statements, preparing required financial schedules and documentation for the annual audit, including the 990 and tax filings.
This is a regular part-time position working 18.75 hours/week (0.5 FTE). Salary starts in the mid-30s, commensurate with experience, with a competitive pro-rated benefits package including health coverage and a retirement plan.
Submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org; please use the following subject line: “Finance Manager: Last Name, First Name.” Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
The Forum is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a culturally diverse team and encourage applications from candidates of diverse backgrounds.
No telephone inquiries please.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Accounting and Bookkeeping
Process all facets of the Forum’s accounting and bookkeeping operation, including but not limited to:
- Process all transactions and journal entries to QuickBooks accounting software.
- Review and post daily cash deposits, as coded and entered into QuickBooks.
- Review and post credit card activity, as coded and entered into QuickBooks.
- Monitor on-line banking activity to detect and post electronic payments and deposits, as needed.
- Reconcile monthly bank, investment, and credit card merchant statements.
- Check invoices for proper account coding before processing payment.
- Process check requests and electronic bill payments, as scheduled or on request. Maintain vendor files.
- Reconcile monthly balance sheet accounts (including receivables, payables) and prepare schedules/list of balances.
- Monitor projected cash requirements and initiate funds transfers as needed.
- Review, code and reconcile monthly Visa corporate account activity.
- Annually prepare corporate resolution authorizing new set of account signers, following election of the new Board at the Annual Meeting. Obtain necessary signatures. Submit completed resolution to SunTrust.
Prepare and distribute organizational financial reports:
- Process monthly financial reports and general ledger trial balance.
- Monitor actual performance against budgeted projections on a monthly basis. Identify significant variances and bring to the attention of the CEO.
- As necessary, prepare and present analyses of income and expense patterns, cash flow projections, recommendations to improve income and/or expense management, etc.
- Prepare monthly special project financial reports and supporting detail, as necessary, and distribute to special project manager.
Payroll and Benefits
With oversight by the CEO, manage all facets of the Forum’s payroll processing:
- Prepare bi-weekly payroll, including leave reporting. Transmit to vendor for processing.
- Reconcile and post monthly payroll tax payments.
- Track employee transportation benefit activity.
- Track and process employer and employee contributions to the Forum’s 403(b) plan.
Serve as the staff person responsible for coordinating the annual budget throughout the year:
- Coordinate development and compilation of the annual budget with the CEO and Forum team. Assist as needed to prepare for final budget presentation to the Board at its December meeting.
- Provide detailed transaction information to Forum management, as requested, to assist in budget preparation.
- Following the close of the 2nd and 3rd quarters and once more before year-end, prepare a year-end forecast based on input from Forum management. Review with Forum management.
Audit and 990 Filing
Serve as key staff liaison in all phases of year-end processing.
- Coordinate with the auditors to schedule the fieldwork at the close of each calendar year. Alert affected Forum management and staff.
- Prepare required financial schedules and requested documentation to support the annual audit. Meet with auditors as necessary.
- Review audit management comments, if any, and recommend procedural changes to strengthen the Forum’s accounting operations.
Policies and Procedures
- Develop and abide by accounting policies and procedures that ensure compliance with generally accepted accounting practices and provide adequate internal controls to safeguard the integrity and security of the Forum’s financial data and information systems.
- Develop and maintain a detailed desk manual documenting step-by-step instructions for each task in the Forum’s day-to-day, month-end, and year-end accounting processes.
- Document and maintain step-by-step instructions for key functions in the QuickBooks accounting software.
- Coordinate with HR product vendors and contractors, in partnership with the CEO.
- Manage other employee benefits, maintaining personnel records, performance evaluation and monitoring insurance coverages.
- Maintain HR policies and provide recommendations to leadership and staff on HR matters.
- Manage Forum’s Finance & Administration Peer Community for Forum members.
- Perform additional work-related responsibilities as scheduled or assigned.
Selection Criteria to Qualify for This Position
- BA in accounting and a minimum of two years accounting experience OR High school diploma and a minimum of three years full-charge bookkeeping experience. Direct responsibility for the budget process, monthly financial reporting, and annual audit.
- Solid, ethical accounting skills including clear grasp of generally accepted accounting practices.
- Proficiency with current office technology, including advanced skills in Microsoft Excel, and demonstrated competency in Microsoft Word and Outlook.
- Ability to organize and prioritize tasks and manage time for optimal productivity.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and adjust to changing priorities.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to use technology effectively and to adapt quickly to the use of new technology.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to and passion for the Forum’s mission.
- Knowledge of nonprofit accounting.
- Experience with QuickBooks accounting software.
- Work in a nonprofit or association setting.
- Human resource administration experience.
- Building Relationships
- Communicating Effectively
- Strategic Agility
- Supporting Organizational Goals
- Building and Supporting Teams
- Customer Focus
- Developing Plans
- Financial Acumen
- Prioritizing and Organizing Work
|Forum Finance Manager Nov2017.pdf||223.96 KB|