Position: Finance and Operations Manager
Organization: The Just Trust
About The Just Trust
The Just Trust is a brand new fund that is 100% dedicated to powering criminal justice reform, state-by-state and across the nation. We’re a team of grantmakers, directly-impacted people, and allies, and we invest in visionary leaders, organizations, and campaigns—from underdogs to heavyweights, organizers to policy wonks, rural folks to city dwellers—all fighting for the safety and wellbeing of their communities.
Our Vision & Our Hiring Approach
Our vision is to transform the justice system into a just and compassionate engine of public safety for all—one where we hold each other to account, treat each other with dignity, and where the strength of our communities keeps people from entering the system in the first place.
We seek to do this by strategically investing (through grants and other direct support) in leaders’ and organizations’ sharpest efforts, across state and party lines, to change hearts, minds, and laws.
At The Just Trust—a fiscally sponsored project of the New Venture Fund—we have a lot of work ahead of us, and we know that our collective success is dependent on building out a team that includes a diverse set of people. This especially includes those who have direct, lived experience with the criminal justice system—those with criminal convictions and formerly incarcerated people, family members of currently and formerly incarcerated people, crime survivors and people who have worked within the system including law enforcement, prosecutors, public defenders and corrections. In addition, we want to build a team of individuals from different backgrounds, experiences and political beliefs who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups—women, people with disabilities, people of color, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender non-conforming, first and second-generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
If this sounds like the place for you, keep on reading.
With an initial commitment of $350 million over the next five years, The Just Trust seeks to hire an experienced finance and operations professional to work directly with the Strategy and Operations Lead and the Executive Director. The Finance and Operations Manager will manage all aspects of the organization’s budget and finances, including tracking revenue and expenses, financial projections, contracting, and grants management. This position will also support the Strategy and Operations Lead in managing key operations for the organization, including creating file and management systems, compliance and reporting, drafting and implementing organizational policies and procedures, and recruitment and hiring.
The ideal candidate is a seasoned professional with exceptional fiscal management and human resources skills that know how to build strong processes and systems to support a start up organization with ambitious sustainability and growth goals. This position will play a critical role as the primary point of contact with the organization’s fiscal sponsor, New Venture Fund (NVF), to ensure the smooth operation of administrative, HR, and technology systems. In addition, the ideal candidate will have a commitment to contributing to and building an effective and supportive internal organizational work culture, a collaborative, partnership-driven spirit, and is passionate about transforming the criminal legal system through integrated advocacy and centering the voices of directly impacted people at all times.
This is a full-time, remote position with limited travel.
Support the launch and building of The Just Trust, working closely with the Strategy and Operations lead and the Executive Director to develop the organization’s first year of grant making, annual budgeting process, organizational systems, policies and procedures, and recruiting and hiring new staff. Reporting to the Strategy and Operations Lead, you will:
- Manage organizational budgeting and budgets for sub-projects of The Just Trust. This includes maintaining accurate, real time finances for The Just Trust.
- Manage contracting and grant management for the organization, including drafting financial reports and serving as the interface between the organization and vendors.
- Manage compliance for the organization and its projects, ensuring accurate timekeeping and reporting.
- Manage remote working operations and staff travel and convening expenses.
- Support the Strategy and Operations lead to develop file and management systems, key policies and procedures, and ensure that all organizational policies and procedures are being followed and are effective, revising as necessary.
- Support the Strategy and Operations Lead in recruitment processes organization-wide, from hiring staff to contractors.
- Support Strategy and Operations Lead and Executive Director in the design and implementation of an organizational growth strategy to ensure The Just Trust is in a position to fuel the criminal justice reform field in the long term.
- Center justice, diversity, equity, belonging and inclusion in your approach to your work internal and externally.
- Perform other duties as needed.
The person holding this position may also work part-time for a coordinated 501(c)(4) organization, The Just Trust for Action, under a resource sharing agreement between the New Venture Fund and The Just Trust for Action. The responsibilities under that position will be overseen by The Just Trust for Action.
- 5+ years experience in finance and operations, with some management experience preferred
- Experience working collaboratively across a cross functional team to execute against a shared strategy
- Demonstrated experience with organizational financial management and budgeting tools and processes
- Demonstrated ability to develop policies and procedures that support employees, increase effectiveness and build strong, connected teams.
- A talent for creating order, finding practical solutions, you thrive in a team environment and partner well across teams
- Exceptional attention to details and deadlines and exceptional verbal and written communications skills
- The ability to thrive in a dynamic and rapidly growing organization that requires you to flex between strategic, operational, and tactical levels
- Experience creating policies; you understand how to interpret organizational needs, and can create and implement effective procedures and systems
- A thoughtful, analytical approach to your work that is balanced with a desire to connect and partner well with individuals and teams internally and externally
- Excellent project management capabilities, you are able to manage multiple work streams and prioritize projects concurrently
- Fluency in Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) concepts, programs and initiatives, and experience in their application to support recruitment and hiring processes that attract and retain diverse talent
- Experience with grantmaking and/or experience in 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) organizations is a plus
- A deep alignment and commitment to criminal justice reform and racial justice
Salary and Benefits
The salary for this role is $120,000-140,000, depending on experience. New Venture Fund offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance, 3% employer match on 401k contributions, pre-tax transportation benefits, and paid holidays, vacation, sick, and volunteer time off.
New Venture Fund Careers
The Just Trust is a project of the New Venture Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. The New Venture Fund is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. The New Venture Fund’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.