Position: Director of Finance and Administration
Organization: Maryland Philanthropy Network
Location: Baltimore, MD
THIS IS US!
Maryland Philanthropy Network (MPN) is a statewide nonprofit philanthropy serving organization. Our members are private and community foundations, corporations, donor advised funds, giving circles, public charities and grantmaking intermediaries. MPN’s mission is to maximize the impact of giving on community life through a growing network of diverse, informed, and effective philanthropists.
Maryland Philanthropy Network works to engage and elevate philanthropy in Maryland as an integral force in tackling the region’s most pressing challenges. We do this through collaboration and partnership between MPN members, government, business, and nonprofit decision-makers. We act as a catalyst for those partnerships by supporting leadership in the philanthropic community; cultivating a new generation of trustees, donors, and professional staff; engaging a diverse network of partners with philanthropy; and encouraging accessible, efficient, and ethical philanthropic grantmaking practice. As a membership association, our priority is to support the philanthropic aspirations of all our members through peer networking, high quality training and education, exposure to new funding opportunities and technical assistance.
For more information, please visit - MarylandPhilanthropy.org
The Director of Finance and Administration (DFA) will be a strategic thought-partner, and report to the president and CEO. The successful candidate will be a hands-on, engaged team member responsible for the following areas: finance, business planning and budgeting, human resources, administration, and IT.
The DFA will play a critical role in partnering with the president in strategic decision making and operations as Maryland Philanthropy Network continues to enhance its quality programming and build capacity. This is a tremendous opportunity for a finance and operations leader to maximize and strengthen the internal capacity of a well-respected, high-impact organization.
- Analyze and present financial reports in a correct and prompt manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements so they are accessible; create and manage all financial, project/program and grants accounting and reporting.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, communicate with external auditors and both the Management and Finance and Audit committees of the board of directors; assess any changes necessary to ensure excellence in our policies and practices.
- Oversee annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the president; administer and review financial plans and budgets; monitor progress; and keep president up to date with the organization’s financial status.
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
- Implement a fiscal management/ reporting system; ensure that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements.
- Update and improve the finance and administration overall policies and procedures.
- Effectively communicate and present the critical financial matters to the board of directors.
- Manage the financial transactions and accounting for our grants
- Manage the relationships, contracts, fiscal requirements, reporting and records for each fiscal project with support from our administrator.
Human Resources, Technology, and Administration
- Manage MPN’s human resources and administration, compensation and benefits, performance evaluation, and working with external contractors.
- Ensure that recruiting processes are equitable, consistent, and streamlined.
- Establish and manage team training about team tools, policies, and procedures.
- Work closely and transparently with all external partners including third-party vendors, fiscal projects, and consultants.
- Oversee administrative functions as well as facilities to ensure efficient operations.
- Minimum of a BA, ideally with an MBA/CPA or related degree with at least 5 to 8 years of overall professional experience; ideally five-plus years of broad financial and operations management experience
- Experience of final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting and audit coordination for either a non-profit organization or significant program area, and has preferably overseen a human resource function previously
- Ability to translate financial concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with -- programmatic and organizational colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds
- Experience in grants management and fiscal project sponsorship and hosting
- Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; knowledge of accounting and reporting software
- Commitment to individual and organization goals across the organization
- Successful in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills which support and enable sound decision making.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- A multi-tasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment
- Understand and value racial equity as an organizational operating principle.
- Committed to continued learning and self-reflection on issues related to racism, equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Comfortable in a fluid work environment with limited hierarchy requiring good judgment and decision-making ability.
- Ability to prioritize, communicate and set boundaries so that you can focus on a variety of tasks and meet deadlines.
- Understand philanthropy as a vocation and a demonstrated personal commitment to philanthropy and social justice
- Work a high degree of independent action, flexibility, and minimum supervision.
Salary range starting from $110,000 annually and equal with experience. Comprehensive benefits include healthcare with dental, retirement and other benefits.
Maryland Philanthropy Network is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and will remain open until the new team member is found.