Position: Director of Development
Organization: Hispanics in Philanthropy
Location: Oakland, CA or Remote (California, New York, or Washington, D.C., preferred)
Deadline: May 29
Hispanics in Philanthropy (HIP) is a transnational network of grantmakers committed to strengthening Latino communities across the Americas. HIP connects and convenes funders, nonprofits, researchers, and other leaders to identify emerging needs among Latinos as well as best practices for responsive and effective funding of social change. HIP pioneers new philanthropic models by leading collaborative initiatives and has provided grants and training to help build the capacity of more than 600 organizations and leaders.
The Director of Development will lead HIP’s Development team, focused on managing HIP’s relationships with foundations, overseeing fundraising strategy and processes, and developing new fundraising strategies. This position offers an exciting opportunity for a skilled fundraiser to support our important work around migration, gender equity, civic engagement, Latino leadership, and more.
The Director of Development will report to the CEO and will supervise two development managers and a part-time development associate. The Director will share funder relationships with the CEO and some program staff.
- Serve on the leadership team and lead all aspects of development for the organization in both the U.S. and Latin America
- Develop and implement a fundraising plan that accurately reflects HIP’s funding needs and realistic funding prospects
- Lead individual donor strategy and pipeline to successfully secure new major gifts from high net worth donors
- Ensure coordination of funder outreach across teams to optimize fundraising including grants, membership, and online giving
- Lead solicitation for HIP’s Annual Conference and other special events as needed, in collaboration with the conference team. Serve as point of contact for sponsors and ensure delivery of sponsor benefits
- Keep staff apprised of fundraising efforts and successes. Liaise with the finance team to ensure that fundraising is on track
- Partner with the communications team to develop collateral for current and prospective donors, members and sponsors
- Ensure donor data/information systems are current and well-functioning
- 7+ years of experience in fundraising, donor relations, and grants management
- A commitment to Hispanics in Philanthropy’s vision and mission
- Demonstrated management skills and experience
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills, detail-oriented, and ability to consistently meet deadlines
- Strategic thinker, with solid judgment and demonstrated integrity
- Ability to manage high-pressure situations and respond to the unexpected
- Demonstrated project management skills and ability to work collaboratively and effectively with peers in joint efforts
- Ability to work remotely with virtual teams across the U.S. and in Mexico City
- Fluent in English and Spanish
- Familiarity with intermediary philanthropy and the role of philanthropy support organizations
- Experience in nonprofit management
- Experience with Salesforce or a similar CRM database, and Google Suite
Commensurate with experience, with possibility for growth based on performance results.
Hispanics in Philanthropy offers a range of benefits for full time employees including medical, dental, vision, 401K matching, commuter check benefits, discounts on services, as well as sick, vacation, and paid holiday time.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
Daily use of computer and phone for regular communications with staff and team members. This position may be a remote position or based out of the Oakland office. Some travel will be required.
How to Apply
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with preference to applications received by May 29th. To apply, please submit the following materials to email@example.com with the subject line “Your name – Development Manager”:
- Cover letter describing your interest, matched abilities for this role, and your salary requirements
- Brief writing sample demonstrating analytical and/or persuasive writing skills (no more than 5 pages)
Three references will be requested of those continuing through the interview process.