Position: Director of Communications
Organization: ExpandED Schools
Location: New York, NY
ExpandED Schools is dedicated to closing the learning gap by increasing access to enriched educational experiences. We give children more hours in the school day, bring more role models into the classroom, and infuse their learning with enrichments in literacy, STEM, arts, and sports and opportunities to build character and leadership skills. In our first decade, we created the nation’s first citywide system of K-12 after-school programs and leveraged more than $500 million in private and public funds. Today, we continue to reimagine learning time – in school, after school and during the summer – developing scalable and sustainable models that provide more quality learning. Since our founding in 1998, we have reached more than one million students and trained more than 30,000 educators and teachers. We:
- EXPAND the school day: Adding 2.5 hours each day; closing the learning gap by 450 hours/school year.
- ENGAGE the community: Bringing additional role models – tutors, coaches, college students and teaching artists – into the classroom.
- ENHANCE the learning: Balancing the curriculum with the arts, sports, STEM and character-building enrichments.
The Director of Communications is the lead strategist, creator and protector of ExpandED Schools’ voice, messaging, content and visual presentation across all media, leading a comprehensive marketing and communications strategy that supports ExpandED Schools in meeting its goals and mission. Reporting to the Senior Director of Development, will collaborate to design and drive the organization’s communications and marketing strategy.
- Support writing, design and production of all content that supports fundraising and Development publications and events.
- Share leadership of event planning and production for multiple audiences, including press, policy and individual and institutional donors.
- Oversee a variety of short pieces that include blog posts, advocacy alerts, articles, Ops Eds and social media content.
- Manage daily electronic communications functions, including but not limited to:
- Maintaining and designing ExpandED Schools’ website and blog, including back-end functions
- Editing and writing selected content, including blog posts
- Managing ExpandED Schools’ social media channels (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn):
- Evaluating new channels for reaching ExpandED Schools’ key audiences;
- Designing and distributing e-newsletters and specialized email communications;
- Deploying online tools for advocacy campaigns, marketing, fundraising and targeted communications.
- Plan and maintain content, look and flow of website and consistent organizational image for ExpandED Schools across the web.
- Shoot, edit and produce video for ExpandED website and staff presentations.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 5-7 years of experience in public relations, media, marketing or nonprofit communications.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experience conducting media relations with up-to-date NYC contacts.
- Experience in producing outstanding communications and marketing materials in all media including print, web, social media, animated and live-action video.
- Experience producing communications for successful Development campaigns and events.
- Strong organizational skills; ability to manage multiple projects
- Commitment to collaboration and participating as a member of a team that recognizes that it is strengthened through its diversity
- Interpersonal skills that inspire team members and colleagues with a commitment to excellence in communications
- Passion for ExpandED Schools’ mission
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office suite
- Ability and willingness to travel throughout New York City (approximately 10%) and to other cities (occasionally)
ExpandED Schools offers a generous benefits package which includes:
- Paid time off comprising 20 vacation days, 8 sick days, 4 personal days and 10 paid holidays
- 403b retirement plan with eligibility for employer contribution of 5% of annual compensation after one year of employment (no match requirement)
- Medical, dental and vision plans for employees and dependents
- Health, dependent care and transit pre-tax accounts
- Employer-paid life insurance and supplemental disability coverage
- Commitment to work-life balance
- Partial tuition reimbursement offered to employees after one year of service
- Professional development opportunities, including funds to participate in external training and coaching opportunities
ExpandED Schools believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for important dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students.
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com, Subject: Director of Communications. No faxes or phone calls, please. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
|Director of Communications.pdf||217.56 KB|