Position: Development Specialist
Organization: Grantmakers for Effective Organizations
Location: Washington, DC
Grantmakers for Effective Organizations is a community of funders committed to transforming philanthropic culture and practice by connecting members to the resources and relationships needed to support thriving nonprofits and communities. We envision courageous grantmakers working in service of nonprofits and communities to create a just, connected and inclusive society where we can all thrive. With more than 6,000 grantmakers who belong to philanthropic organizations of all sizes and types across the globe, we work to lift up the grantmaking practices that matter most to nonprofits and that truly improve philanthropic practice. Join us to create a greater impact for these communities by helping grantmakers grow along with the nonprofits they serve.
The Development Specialist plays a key role on GEO's revenue team supporting fundraising to support the organization's operations. Reporting to the Director of Membership and Development, the specialist is responsible for executing GEO's fundraising strategy and reaching annual revenue goals, approximately $6 million annually, with a focus on grants and sponsorships. The specialist will manage GEO's portfolio of grants and sponsorships, draft proposals and language for fundraising collateral, and implement strategies for long-term donor engagement and revenue sustainability. The ideal candidate is a strong writer, service-oriented, and exhibits strong project management skills. The development specialist will report to the Director of Membership and Development and is a member of a 3-person fundraising team.
Grant Writing & Management
- Draft and tailor grant proposals and reports in support of annual grant revenue goal; working across teams to gather information on programmatic outcomes and financial reporting
- Manage GEO's portfolio of grants to ensure compliance and timely report submission
- Proactively manage all deadlines and ensure key dates and interactions are tracked using Salesforce
- Plan and implement cultivation opportunities for existing donors and prospects including Leadership Circle supporters (i.e. - newsletter, presentations, meetings)
- Support the development of donor newsletters, acknowledgment letters, and annual reporting
- Facilitate stewardship of conference host committees and manage activation of sponsorship benefits
Development & Membership Administration
- Ensure data integrity, comprehensive data entry, and maximum utility of Salesforce, the organization's donor management tool
- Refine and maintain systems to track performance towards organizational priorities and grant outcomes
- Support revenue team members with membership renewal process, providing administrative assistance for incoming payments and reconciliation, and preparing summaries from GEOlist, the organization's membership listserv
- Provide data and information to support creation of monthly development report
- Prepare donor profile documents in advance of funder meetings to support senior management team
- Minimum 3 5 years of grant writing and fundraising experience for nonprofit organizations
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills with commitment to a high level of customer service
- Experience with database management; Salesforce preferred
- Knowledge of fundraising best practices; ability to translate data/metrics into strategy and tactics
- Ability to manage multiple priorities with flexibility and effective project management
- Willingness to support an organization in the midst of transformation to center racial equity in its culture, practices and work
- Knowledge of philanthropy and nonprofit effectiveness is a plus
- Passion for GEO's mission and vision to improve philanthropic culture and practice.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should apply on our jobs page at https://www.geofunders.org/about-us/jobs, a resume and cover letter must be included with your application. We will not consider applications without a cover letter. In your cover letter, please address the following:
- Why are you a good fit for this position?
- Tell us about your greatest fundraising achievement.
- What appeals to you about working at GEO?
We will accept applications until the position is filled.
Note: Our team has gone full-time remote in light of the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak. For the time being, we will be conducting the hiring process virtually
Salary and Benefits
GEO offers a competitive salary (50k's to 60k's) and a generous benefits package, including 100 percent employer paid health insurance, three weeks of vacation, twelve sick days, a 7 percent employer retirement contribution, a commitment to professional development and growth, along with a Metro accessible location in downtown D.C.
Grantmakers for Effective Organizations is an equal opportunity employer. GEO is committed to equal employment opportunities in recruitment, hiring, promotion, training, compensation and disciplinary action with regard to the terms and conditions of employment. GEO does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, color, age, sex, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, personal appearance, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation or any other legally protected characteristic.