Position: Development Officer
Organization: ExpandED Schools
Location: New York, NY
ExpandED Schools is dedicated to closing the learning gap by increasing access to enriched educational experiences. We give children more hours in the school day, bring more role models into the classroom, and infuse their learning with enrichments in literacy, STEM, arts, and sports and opportunities to build character and leadership skills. In our first decade, we created the nation’s first citywide system of K-12 after-school programs and leveraged more than $500 million in private and public funds. Today, we continue to reimagine learning time – in school, after school and during the summer – developing scalable and sustainable models that provide more quality learning. Since our founding in 1998, we have reached more than one million students and trained more than 30,000 educators and teachers. We:
- EXPAND the school day: Adding 2.5 hours each day; closing the learning gap by 450 hours/school year.
- ENGAGE the community: Bringing additional role models – tutors, coaches, college students and teaching artists – into the classroom.
- ENHANCE the learning: Balancing the curriculum with the arts, sports, STEM and character-building enrichments.
ExpandED Schools is seeking an entrepreneurial fundraiser to serve as a key member of our Institutional Advancement team. Reporting to the Senior Director of Development, the Development Officer will primarily focus on raising funds from institutions (i.e. foundations, corporations, and governmental sources) to sustain and increase a $13M annual budget. The Development Officer will also assist with the production of ExpandED’s Annual Benefit—which draws significant corporate support—and select tasks as the organization’s individual giving program evolves. The position is a great opportunity for a fundraising professional that has identified a passion for institutional giving but also seeks to utilize and continue to hone a broader base of skills. The Officer will be joining the team at a dynamic time, as our organization develops a strategy for our next decade as one of New York City’s leading education organizations.
- Research foundation, corporate, and governmental prospects; recommend prospects with the greatest potential; prepare background materials; and propose cultivation strategies.
- Write compelling concept notes, grant proposals, and reports to secure new commitments and renewals from institutional donors, working closely with the program, research, and finance teams.
- Engage directly with existing and potential institutional donors to cultivate new or renewed support.
- Recruit volunteers from corporations and continue to develop creative ideas for impactful employee engagement opportunities to help ExpandED pursue new corporate partners.
- Assist with production of Annual Benefit (e.g., developing marketing materials, recruiting potential corporate sponsors, working with event vendors, etc.).
- As needed, participate in select tasks to support individual giving, such as writing an appeal, researching major donor prospects, or assisting with the production of a small cultivation event.
- Work with the development and communications staff to identify and execute strategies for strengthening organizational storytelling within Advancement materials and events.
- Help promote institutional partnerships by recommending, developing, and pushing out relevant social media content in partnership with communications staff.
- Help track fundraising progress to goal by managing accurate records in Raiser’s Edge and other departmental tracking systems.
- At least 3 years of professional experience in fundraising preferred;
- Commitment to advancing equity in public education, background in education reform, and appetite for developing an in-depth understanding of ExpandED’s initiatives;
- Love for writing and strong facility as a writer;
- Comfort and facility engaging with donors and representing an organization externally;
- Excellent project management skills and facility for motivating and helping to guide cross-departmental teams;
- Willingness and ability to manage tasks independently, supported by weekly meetings with Senior Director and Institutional Advancement team;
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills;
- Critical thinker, analytical, and detail oriented;
- Creative, bold, and ambitious;
- Strong proficiency in MSOffice Suite, including comfort designing PowerPoint presentations;
- Prior database experience (ideally with Raiser’s Edge); and
- Graphic design experience a bonus, but not required.
ExpandED Schools offers a generous benefits package which includes:
- Full-time and eligible part-time employees receive medical, dental and vision plans for employees and dependents, largely subsidized by ExpandED Schools
- Health, dependent care and transit pre-tax accounts
- Employer-paid life insurance and supplemental disability coverage
- A generous paid time off package which includes 20 vacation days, 8 sick days, 4 personal days and 12 paid holidays (prorated for part-time staff)
- 403b retirement plan with eligibility for employer contribution of 5% of annual compensation after one year of employment (no match requirement)
- Commitment to work-life balance
- Partial tuition reimbursement offered to employees after one year of service
- Professional development opportunities, including funds to participate in external training and coaching opportunities
ExpandED Schools believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for important dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students.
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com, Subject: Position Title. No faxes or phone calls, please. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
|Development Officer.pdf||168.31 KB|