Position: Development and Membership Associate
Organization: Funders for LGBTQ Issues
Location: New York City Metro Area
Funders for LGBTQ Issues is a network of funders committed to advancing equity and well-being for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, & queer (LGBTQ) communities. We provide three key services:
- Organizing convenings and forums for LGBTQ funders to connect, coordinate their efforts, learn from each other, and maximize their impact.
- Providing trainings and support services for foundations to help them increase their LGBTQ-inclusiveness in both grantmaking and internal practices.
- Providing up-to-the-minute information, research, and resources on LGBTQ grantmaking for the benefit of funders and the broader LGBTQ movement.
Funders for LGBTQ Issues is unique in that the organization not only raises funds to support its own work, but also works to increase resources for the LGBTQ movement, particularly the most under-served communities within the LGBTQ movement, such as LGBTQ people of color, transgender communities, and women.
The Development and Membership Associate is a new position, which will play an essential role in increasing the organization’s capacity for effective outreach and engagement of new funders—both to fundraise for the organization’s operations and initiatives and to expand philanthropic resources for the LGBTQ movement. The three key areas of responsibility are:
- Supporting philanthropic outreach, including documenting the development of identifying, cultivating, and tracking of prospective new funders for the LGBTQ movement and LGBTQ issues, particularly under-resourced LGBTQ populations such as LGBTQ people of color, transgender people, LBQ women, and rural LGBTQ communities.
- Supporting training and member support services, including managing membership appeals, and tracking trainings and other support services.
- Supporting the organization’s fundraising, including identifying and tracking prospects, tracking grant deadlines, and supporting the writing and completion of grant proposals and reports.
The Development and Membership Associate will play an important supportive role in strengthening the organization’s systems for outreach and fundraising. They will support advancing the work of the organization by assisting with a wide range of administrative duties while maintaining integrity, donor trust, confidentiality, and tact at all times. The position will report to the National Director of Philanthropic Outreach and work closely with Philanthropic Outreach and Engagement team to manage the workflows for the team to ensure that all programs and activities are progressing to completion. The position will be based at Funders for LGBTQ Issues’ New York City office. The position may be partially remote but requires at least two to three days in the office per week.
- Track outreach to and cultivation of hundreds of potential new funders of the LGBTQ movement and of LGBTQ issues.
- Conduct research on prospective new funders to engage in LGBTQ issues and oversee the writing of brief background and strategy documents on prospects.
- Work with the Philanthropic Outreach and Engagement team to maximize the use of programs, events, and working groups as tools for engaging and supporting funders new to LGBTQ issues.
Funder Training and Support Services
- Track and document the trainings, coaching, and informal support services provided to new funders and members.
- Oversee integration of development records into Salesforce database and ensure regular upkeep of prospect, member, and donor information, including data clean-up, address, and salutation updates, create new records and other general data entry as necessary.
- Champion the use of the database in recording engagements and relevant data points while working with the Funders for LGBTQ Issues team.
- Excellent organizational skills with a focus on detail and strong follow through.
- Strong writing and oral communications skills.
- Self-starter with the ability to manage up and to work both independently and as a part of a small team.
- Ability to prioritize and juggle multiple projects and deadlines while advancing long-term goals.
- Flexibility and a willingness to take on new tasks.
- Salesforce database experience preferred.
- Experience with Google Suite products (Google Docs, Gmail, etc.).
- Boldness and joy in seeking resources for social justice.
- Passion for LGBTQ rights and social justice, combined with a pragmatic orientation and an openness to understanding and engaging people and institutions representing diverse viewpoints and theories of change.
Salary in the low $50,000’s. Excellent benefits, including full medical, health reimbursement and flexible spending accounts, retirement plan contributions, and generous vacation schedule. Flexible work hours friendly to balancing work and personal obligations. Funders for LGBTQ Issues values mentorship and leadership development, and will work with the hired candidate to identify opportunities to support their professional growth in philanthropy and beyond.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume in Word or PDF format to the Development and Membership Associate position on our career page at lgbtfunders.bamboohr.com/jobs.
Due to expected high volume of applications, we are unable to accept phone inquiries.
Funders for LGBTQ Issues is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to building the leadership of people of color, women, transgender, and gender non-conforming individuals. Funders for LGBTQ Issues does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, ethnicity, immigration status, national origin, sexual orientation, religion, HIV serostatus, disability, or marital status.