Position: Communications Manager
Organization: United Philanthropy Forum
Location: Washington, D.C.
Deadline: January 8, 2021
Do you have a passion for using communications as effectively as possible to advance a nonprofit’s vision and mission? Do you enjoy having a hands-on role in using a diverse range of communications tools and channels? Then join the United Philanthropy Forum team!
Reporting to the President & CEO, the Communications Manager is responsible for ensuring that the Forum uses communications as effectively as possible to advance the Forum’s mission, vision and goals. Working in collaboration with the rest of the Forum team, the Communications Manager will manage and execute all Forum communications in our core areas of public policy, philanthropy practice, knowledge services and racial equity, diversity and inclusion. This is a newly created position that requires a person who has experience working with a broad range of communications tools and channels and can work effectively across a wide range of communications activities.
This is a full-time, exempt position. Salary starting in the low 70s, commensurate with experience, with a competitive benefits package including 100% employer paid health coverage and employer contribution to a retirement plan. We prefer candidates located in the greater Washington, DC area, but will consider outstanding candidates who are located in other parts of the country. The Communications Manager will work closely with the Forum’s President & CEO as well as across the Forum team on communications planning and execution, and will work with some outside communications consultants to help support special projects and campaigns.
As the largest and most diverse network in American philanthropy, United Philanthropy Forum holds a unique position in the social sector to help increase philanthropy’s impact in communities across the country. We are a membership organization of nearly 80 philanthropy associations and networks, representing 7,000 foundations and other funders, who work to make philanthropy better. The Forum envisions a courageous philanthropic sector that catalyzes a just and equitable society where all can participate and prosper.
Submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com; please use the following subject line: “Communications Manager: Last Name, First Name.” Application deadline is January 8, 2021.
The Forum is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a culturally diverse team and encourage applications from candidates of diverse backgrounds.
No telephone inquiries please.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Communications Planning & Strategy
- Working with the President & CEO and the rest of the Forum team, develop and execute a strategic communications plan to guide the Forum’s use of communications to advance the Forum’s vision, mission and goals.
- Develop and execute communications implementation plans for various Forum projects and initiatives.
- Manage all Forum communications policies and procedures.
- Manage evaluations of Forum communications.
- Write and update content for Forum’s website and manage all updates and changes to the website’s design, structure and navigation.
- Manage, design and write Forum e-newsletters.
- Manage, design and write copy for Forum marketing materials, including promotions for all Forum programs and for membership recruitment materials and communications.
- Manage all communications for Forum’s annual conference and other events, including promotions, on-site and virtual materials, use of social media, etc.
- Manage and write content for Forum’s social media communications, including Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
- Manage and write contributions to Forum’s blog.
- Manage, design and write key Forum publications, such as annual report, research reports, etc.
- Manage Forum’s media relations efforts.
- Support CEO and other members of the Forum team, as needed, in writing presentations and creating slides for presentations.
- Manage the effective use of the Forum’s brand identity in all Forum communications.
- Manage work of any outside vendors used to support the Forum’s communications efforts.
Member Communications Support
- Serve as key staff liaison for Forum’s services and support for the Forum’s Communications Peer Community learning and networking group for communications professionals in the Forum membership.
- Manage and coordinate a listserv, regular round robin calls, in-person conference meeting and other programming, as needed, for Forum’s Communications Peer Community.
Forum Team Communications Support
- Offer support and guidance to members of the Forum team, as needed, on communications.
Selection Criteria to Qualify for This Position
- Bachelor’s degree in communications or related field preferred.
- Four or more years’ experience in communications.
- Strong demonstrated writing and editing skills.
- Experience in website communications; knowledge of HTML preferred.
- Experience in marketing communications.
- Experience in using a wide range of communications tools and channels, including e-mail, various social media channels, blogs, video, podcasts, etc.
- Experience in evaluation and reporting of effective communications.
- Effective project management and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a high-performance, collaborative, constructive peer group.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility and a commitment to and passion for the Forum’s mission.
- Experience in government relations/public policy communications preferred but not required.
- Knowledge of philanthropy/nonprofit sector preferred but not required.
- Experience with associations preferred but not required.
The Forum team has identified the following core competencies as critical for our work:
- Building Relationships
- Communicating Effectively
- Customer Focus
- Strategic Agility
- Supporting Organizational Goals
|Forum Communications Manager.pdf||216.49 KB|