Position: Communications Director
Organization: Media Impact Funders
Location: Philadelphia, PA
About Media Impact Funders
Media Impact Funders is a national membership philanthropy serving organization that advances the work of a broad range of funders committed to effective use and support of media in the public interest. Our mission is to advance and catalyze the work of a diverse range of funders committed to media that informs, engages and inspires. Our vision is a world in which compelling media serves the public interest.
Media Impact Funders informs, convenes and mobilizes funders and investors around the crucial role that media plays in democracy and social change. We represent a growing network of national foundation leaders, social impact donors and award-winning news, documentary and digital producers who are dedicated to greatly increasing the impact of media on the critical issues of our time.
Our work focuses on educating and inspiring the funder community about the role of media and technology in social transformation; illuminating media policy concerns such as press freedom and net neutrality; improving impact evaluation for media-related philanthropy; highlighting best practices in journalism funding; and creating opportunities for networking and collaboration among media funders in the U.S. and beyond.
We are seeking an energetic, creative, and nimble Communications Director to help us shape the story of this rapidly transforming field. The successful candidate will:
- Work directly with MIF’s Executive Director to develop editorial, outreach and strategic communications strategies
- Manage MIF’s digital presence, including its website, as well as social media
- Produce monthly newsletters targeting priority audiences
- Write, commission and edit online articles about news, trends and best practices in the media funding field
- Oversee creation of original research reports and other special projects
- Closely track the field of media philanthropy to highlight content through MIF programming and communications
- Work closely with program staff around event communications
- Work closely with development staff around member engagement strategies
- Engage with diverse audiences, including funders, media makers, journalists, researchers, board members, etc. around various projects and initiatives
- Manage design consultants, and serve as liaison to external web development team as needed
- Participate in strategic planning activities and evaluate communications efforts regularly to provide guidance and expertise to improve plans and processes
- Moderate or facilitate virtual and in-person discussions as needed
This position reports directly to the Executive Director.
This full-time, 35-hour-per-week position’s salary is $75,000 and is negotiable depending on experience level. We also offer a comprehensive benefits package, including complete coverage for health, dental, and vision insurance; a retirement contribution; a childcare stipend; a generous paid-time-off program; a flexible remote work schedule; and staff development opportunities.
Our office is located in downtown Philadelphia, though MIF staff is currently working remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic. When it is safe to return to in-person work, a partial remote-working arrangement is possible for this position. Our ideal candidate can work in the office a minimum of one day a week, and is available to participate in-person at meetings and events around the country.
- Minimum 5-7 years of professional communications experience
- At least 7 years of demonstrated experience in writing, editing, content strategy, and project management – those with practitioner experience in journalism or other media writing are encouraged to apply
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, public relations, English or related field preferred, but not required; a Master’s degree a plus
- Skills and experience in most of the media platforms that currently drive interest and visibility in an organization and its work: digital, print, social media, broadcast
- Creative and critical thinker, self-starter, team player and adaptable to a rapidly transforming field
- The ability to work effectively with a small team, but also independently and be a self-starter
- Ability to manage multiple projects on multiple deadlines
- Experience with Wordpress for website management, MailChimp for newsletter management, and other platforms for disseminating and communicating information
- Experience in creating/editing graphics for web and print
- Experience with social media in a professional capacity
- Strong communications skills - written, verbal, and editorial
- Meticulous attention to detail
- High-caliber editorial judgment
- The ability to travel to meetings and conferences as needed throughout the year
- Moderation and facilitation skills a plus
- An interest in and knowledge of the philanthropic sector is a strong plus
Please send a cover letter describing your interest in this position, a resume, and a writing sample representative of your style and experience to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “Communications Director Position – Your Name” in the subject line.
We are committed to fostering an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds. Media Impact Funders is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, sexual orientation or expression, gender, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, military status, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic as established under law. All individuals are welcomed and encouraged to apply.