Position: Chief of Staff
Location: New York, NY
Deadline: September 30
ABFE is a membership-based philanthropic organization that advocates for responsiv and transformative investments in Black communities. Partnering with foundations, nonprofits and individuals, ABFE provides its members with professional development and technical assistance resources that further the philanthropic sector’s connection and responsiveness to issues of equity, diversity and inclusion. Established in 1971 as the Association of Black Foundation Executives, the organization is credited with many of philanthropy’s early gains in diversity. It since has evolved into a fully staffed, influential network. In 2013, the organization shed its descriptor and adopted the simpler ABFE (ab-fee) to better reflect its broadening membership.lopment.
The Ideal Candidate
The COS will be qualified and able to:
- work to implement strategy and vision, build the ABFE culture, and serve as a key member of the senior leadership team. The COS will work systematically to help ensure ABFE meets its goals by addressing key staffing, process and infrastructure issues.
- develop a business plan for the organization and work with the senior leadership team to measure activities and resources against the business plan. This includes taking ABFE's strategic focus areas, priorities and initiatives and translating them into day-to-day standard operating procedures. The COS will monitor and assess ongoing strategies, conduct midcourse corrections and generally keep the CEO and board informed of ABFE's operations, including how its finances, technology, and staffing relate to the implementation of strategic priorities.
- partner with the vice president for finance to prepare budgets and forecasts. Will partner with the CEO and vice president of programs to develop earned revenue streams. Partner with vice president of external affairs to develop projections for grant revenue and membership income.
- offer oversight to hiring and play a formative role in strengthening the culture of ABFE by focusing on accountability and results. Take responsibility for team building, mentoring, professional development, and capacity building of ABFE’s staff members. This includes growing a culture and processes that support open and clear communication.
- be an internal advocate for efficiency, accountability, productivity, professional development, commitment to ABFE’s vision and mission.
- oversee and measure the impact of the organization.
- Serves as second-in-command to the CEO and as the senior member of the senior leadership team.
- Oversees all operations while keeping CEO fully up-to-date and informed, ensuring that all business operations are running smoothly and efficiently.
- Participates in the strategic planning process at ABFE.
- Implements, in collaboration and coordination with the CEO and the Board of Directors, ABFE’s strategic and business plans.
- Develops, implements, and monitors systems and processes for tracking key performance data. Implements a dashboard for key performance indicators (KPI) and ensures real-time access to CEO and members of the senior leadership team. Works closely with members of the senior leadership team to adjust processes and activities in order to assist the organization in tracking to KPIs.
- Develops a business plan for the organization that operationalizes ABFE's strategic focus areas, priorities and initiatives, translating them into day-to-day standard operating procedures. Works with the senior leadership team to measure activities and resources against the business plan. Monitors and assesses ongoing strategies, and conducts midcourse corrections.
- Keeps the CEO and board informed of ABFE's operations, including how its finances, technology, and staffing relate to the implementation of strategic priorities.
- Working with the vice presidents for programming, external affairs, and finance, and employing external consultants, develops an earned income model for the organization that includes building out the organization’s racial equity training program.
- Benchmarks how ABFE relates to and compares to other membership organizations, fellowship programs, and their programming and fees.
- Develops and implements human resource systems including performance review systems; recruiting, hiring, and onboarding of staff. Encourages professional development.
- Manages staff meetings including development of agendas, and ensures decisions are recorded and minutes are quickly distributed. Ensures open communication and participation.
- Maintains oversight of ABFE's budget.
- Establishes productive working relationships between and among the CEO, senior leadership team members, and support staff to ensure that ABFE operates productively within budget. Works with all parties to resolve conflicts when they arise.
- Supports a high-performing senior leadership team and plays an active role in attracting, retaining and developing a best-in-class staff;
- Implements a continuous quality improvement process throughout the organization’s areas, focusing on systems/process improvement. Promotes regular and ongoing open communication, and provides opportunities for all staff to give feedback on administrative, operating and programmatic processes.
- Ensures that all organizational activities operate consistently and ethically within the mission and vision of ABFE
- Informs the CEO and, when requested, the Board of directors on any and all internal organization matters and potential problematic concerns
The COS will report to the CEO. All members of the senior leadership team will report directly to the CEO through the COS. The COS will serve as the intermediary and liaison between staff and the CEO.
Key Credentials and Personal Qualities
- Ideal candidate possesses prior experience as a chief of staff or number two in a small to mid-sized organization, and experience in artfully managing teams.
- Master's Degree in business administration or finance, or its equivalent, preferred but not required.
- Three to five years successful senior leadership experience within philanthropy.
- An understanding of and a deep commitment to ABFE’s mission and vision.
- Unquestioned integrity and impeccable work ethic.
- Background of success in team building, process improvement, change leadership and change management.
- Experience as a manager of large teams.
- Commitment to results; "can-do" mindset with an emphasis on accountability.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Solid references from former employers.
$130,000 to $150,000/year (commensurate with experience) and competitive benefits package.
Interested applicants should send their Resume/CV, Cover Letter, and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org by September 30th, 2019. No phone calls, faxes or personal inquiries permitted. Only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
|ABFE COS Description.pdf||87.87 KB|