Hispanics in Philanthropy is a non-profit organization which leverages philanthropic resources to mobilize and amplify the power of our communities. Latinxs globally are a group of vibrant communities that have resilience and true power that resides within us to create collective power and change. Yet, less than 1% of philanthropy funding goes towards supporting the causes that impact our people. Through our work, we can support, challenge, and inspire the sector to ignite our essence and achieve the self-sustaining and long-lasting change we need.
We envision a just future in which our communities across the Americas are thriving. We - HIP - are in a unique position to be the impact catalysts of that change. On one hand, we have insight into the most important local and regional challenges and opportunities of our community, and, on the other, we lead the strongest network to fund, train, and support actions toward our transformative goal.
The HIP Finance Team is the backbone of the organization, our team is structured with 2 Staff Accountants in the US (inclusive of this position), 2 Finance Managers (one in the US and one in MX), and the CFO based in the US. The work provided by the Finance team allows our staff and grantees to have the funds and information needed to conduct and support programmatic activities. HIP is a complex organization with a combined $19 million budget in the US and MX (US approximately $17m and $2m in MX.) Revenue includes activities from grants, donations, contracts, events, investments, fiscal sponsorship, and HIP’s crowdfunding platform. Expense activities include regranting, payroll, contractor payments, reimbursements, event expenses, and credit card activities. HIP is a learning organization, the ideal candidate will embody HIP’s mission, vision, and values with their eye on HIP’s racial equity North Star. The work is diverse and expansive which is great if you enjoy learning new things and being busy!
We’re looking for a part-time Staff Accountant to lead the HIPGive crowdfunding program financial activities and accounts receivable. The ideal candidate will be fluent in Spanish and English, well-versed in accrual accounting, be a strong communicator, self-starter, able to work independently, have excellent follow through, very strong attention to detail, and someone who is comfortable with technology and using various software tools and platforms.
This position will report directly to the Sr. Finance Manager in the U.S., and work collaboratively with the Mexico Finance and HIPGive teams. The Sr. Finance Manager and CFO view this role as a partnership where new ideas for efficiency are always welcomed and encouraged. Given that we’re always looking for ways to improve, an openness to implementing new procedures is a must and a desire to innovate and comfort with change is something we find exciting!
- Lead the full circle process for HIP’s crowdfunding financial activities, including:
- Importing revenue into Quickbooks, on a daily and weekly basis in the US and MX
- Reconciling entries to the bank deposits and the HIPGive platform,
- Create related payables/bills for appropriate projects (i.e. vendors in QuickBooks), and add new vendors as needed
- Work closely with the HIPGive team on compliance and tracking of payouts
- Prepare payable folders and payment requests for processing on a weekly basis
- Pull project Profit and Loss reporting for verification of payout amounts
- Review grantees' files for appropriate documentation
- As needed, record matching funds, create journal entries for any refunds and/or chargebacks, and prepare giving circle distributions.
- Enter accounts receivables data into Quickbooks US and MX on a weekly basis, adding customers and jobs as needed.
- Input revenue and download report details for checks, electronic funds transfers, and various payment platforms like Stripe (US and MX), Paypal (US and MX), Benevity, Network for Good, Global Giving, Act Blue, and HIP’s crowdfunding platform.
- Preparing invoices for event sponsorships, membership dues, fellowship tuition, or other invoices as requested.
- Prepare deposits on a monthly basis for checks, or as needed for EFTs
- Records chargebacks and refunds as needed
- Responsible for general accounting entries, and maintaining schedules;
- Maintain accounting internal controls and related policies and procedures;
- Be available for backup in other areas of finance, such as payables, payroll processing, etc if other team members are out on vacation.
- Assist with pulling reporting for year-end audit and tax reporting procedures;
- Work collaboratively with teams across the US and MX
- Review, investigate, and correct errors and inconsistencies in financial entries, documents, and reports; and
- Responsibilities also include special projects as assigned by the Sr. Finance Manager/CFO, if time allows.
- Minimum five (5+) plus years experience in non-profit accounting or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Five (5+) or more years of accrual accounting experience with demonstrated track record of assuming increasing role of responsibilities;
- Proficient in Quickbook desktop accounting software
- Highly skilled in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc) and have the ability to learn new technology or have prior familiarity with Salesforce, Google Suites, Adobe products
- Must be able to manage time and resources and perform job duties effectively and efficiently under light to minimal supervision.
- Must have well-developed communication skills; written and verbal, preferably in Spanish and English as HIP is a bilingual organization with a commitment to language justice.
- Must be organized and detail-oriented (a systems person)
- Must be able to track and follow through activities to completion, and take responsibility for reminding others to complete their tasks as well to ensure timely reporting and activities.
- Must be mission and value aligned
- Comfortable working remotely, or attending mandatory in-person staff retreats
Hispanics in Philanthropy offers competitive compensation and a range of benefits. This position has an hourly range of $29.81 - $40.28 per hour - depending on location and experience. Part-time employees are eligible for some benefits such as 401K matching, commuter benefits, discounts on services, as well as sick, vacation, and paid holiday time. HIP has worked extensively on our compensation policy to align with our Mission and Values. To ensure it does not amplify systemic inequities, we do not negotiate salary. We are focused on investing in our people and creating learning opportunities, promoting
well-being, and having market-competitive compensation and benefits.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
This position requires 4 hours per day sitting and working from your computer. This is a remote position in the U.S. Some travel may be required. Employees are required to comply with HIP’s COVID-19 health and safety measures consistent with CDC guidelines, and federal, state, and local regulations. Additionally, employees traveling on behalf of HIP are required to be vaccinated.
How To Apply
Submit an application (https://forms.gle/g83RX8fgcuwcamu3A) to be considered for this position. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Required materials include a cover letter and resume. Incomplete applications will not be considered. References will be requested for those continuing through the interview process.
Hispanics in Philanthropy is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer