PEAK Grantmaking is a member-led national association serving 6,500 philanthropy professionals who specialize in grants management and 500 contributing member organizations. Our members come together to form a vibrant community that advances shared leadership and learning across the philanthropic sector.
PEAK’s communications program serves a strategic role in guiding and implementing the organization’s outreach to its members, the profession, and the larger field of philanthropy – amplifying the organization’s unique role in advancing effective, equitable grantmaking practices.
At PEAK, communications is a strategic practice that focuses on positioning and promoting the organization’s unique value proposition to its members and the field; developing and delivering high-value publications and resources; continually strengthening the community experience; and building PEAK’s reputation as an investor brand for philanthropy.
Working closely with the Communications team and collaboratively with colleagues across the organization, the Associate Communications Director plays an essential role in providing strategic advice and hands-on guidance to the execution of PEAK’s communications program.
This position reports to the Communications and Marketing Director.
Duties, Responsibilities, and Authority
Key duties and responsibilities:
- Serves as a strategic advisor to the Communications and Marketing Director
- Provides counsel and collaborative leadership on communications strategies, initiatives, priorities, and planning
- Handles department operations and logistics
- Creates and implements plans to foster internal communications
- Serves as the primary liaison for membership, programs, and operations, providing project leadership and management
- Directs internal communications, in coordination with executive team
- Supports the development of the annual department plan and budget
- Contributes to the development of a multi-channel communications program, including website platforms, email, social networks, direct mail, and media relations
- Contributes to assessment and initiatives to improve online user experience
- Works collaboratively with the membership department to provide strategic and tactical support for retention and recruitment campaigns, and community engagement initiatives
- Serves as brand champion to ensure consistent, compelling communications about PEAK’s mission, values, and strategy
- Provides leadership and counsel on an array of major initiatives and special projects
Requirements and Qualifications
An accomplished communications leader with demonstrated success in strategizing, supervising, and hands-on execution of an integrated multi-faceted program that includes multiple online platforms, development communications, publications, media relations, internal communications, marketing, and social media.
Essential skills and experience include:
- 7-10 years of experience directing a high-performing communications program for a mission-driven organization
- 3+ years of supervisory experience of staff and vendor-partners
- An energetic, deeply collaborative leader with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications as a strategic practice
- Demonstrated leadership in brand management, strategy, and development
- Proven experience in publication and editorial programs, adept at developing content plans, and providing editorial direction
- Enthusiastic drive to work collaboratively with staff, members, volunteers, and partners
- Adept at utilizing business and channel analytics to inform data-driven decision-making
- Experience in developing cross-channel campaigns for membership, programs, and convening
- Strong cross-channel writing and editing skills
- Hands-on experience with design and creative direction a plus
- Adept at media relations, with track record of successful editorial placements
- Philanthropy, nonprofit, or other social-sector career experience preferred
- Membership association experience a plus
- Ability to travel is preferred. Travel for this position could include attending the annual national conference, staff retreats, and member convenings.
A comprehensive salary and benefits package will be offered. The salary range for this position is $110,000 - $130,000 commensurate with experience.
Location and Work Environment
This position is fully remote. PEAK began offering remote work in 2014 and has committed to an indefinite remote work posture. PEAK will allow you to work at home, on the road, or in a satellite location for all or part of the regular workweek. Many staff are virtual, and you will be required to maintain PEAK’s core working hours from 10am-3pm ET Monday through Friday to accommodate peers across all time zones. You will be required to use collaborative software and video conferencing to stay in touch with co-workers, colleagues, and customers.
Equal opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles of PEAK Grantmaking, where employment and promotional opportunities are based on individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation/affectional preference, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, or any other protected category as established under law.
To apply for this position, please upload the following documents through this form.
Résumé: Please indicate your city and state—no street address to protect your privacy—and email and cell phone number.
Work samples: Please attach 3-4 work samples that focus on impact reporting, storytelling, and brand messaging—such as annual reports, articles, event reporting, member profiles, and fundraising campaigns. Please bundle the documents and/or links into one file.