Organization: Resource Legacy Fund
Location: Sacramento, CA
About Resource Legacy Fund
Resources Legacy Fund (RLF) builds alliances that advance bold solutions to secure a just and resilient world for people and nature. We partner with philanthropy, community groups, government, science, and business to promote smart policies and ensure equitable public funding for the environment, climate change resilience, and healthy communities. Across the American West and internationally, we manage complex, multi-year grantmaking programs and fiscally sponsor projects that accelerate change on environmental and equity issues. We believe strategic philanthropy and thoughtful partnerships can achieve enduring, equitable outcomes at scale for land protection, ocean conservation, resilient communities, healthy watersheds, and parks access.
Since RLF’s founding 20+ years ago, we have partnered with philanthropies to protect more than five million acres and generated more than $30 billion in new public funding for land and ocean conservation, equitable outdoor access, and climate resilience. Our work has taught us that conservation does not advance in a bubble. Its success is integrally tied to social equity, community health, economic opportunity, and a strong democracy. To safeguard our achievements to date, and help prepare a favorable environment to face the daunting threat of climate change, we helped launch two partner organizations: Fund for a Better Future (FBF) and Shared Ascent Fund (SAF) to work in the intersecting areas of democracy, environment, health, and equity.
We are a core team of approximately 50 people in 7 states, with the majority based in the Sacramento, California region. We also have staff across the country working on more than 25 fiscally sponsored projects that span the globe.
To learn more about Resources Legacy Fund, visit https://resourceslegacyfund.org
About the Opportunity
The Accountant is a full-time, non-exempt staff member responsible for providing finance, accounting, and general administrative support to RLF and for select organizations pursuant to RLF service agreements. The Accountant is part of the finance team and works closely with philanthropic program teams.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Review and post all incoming pledges and gifts once processed by Accounting Specialist.
- Review bank activity (at least 2x weekly), alert Accounting Specialist of new receipts and update cash flow tracker.
- Organize, administer, and maintain donor files, accounting and finance files, and other related records in document management system.
- Review and post all administrative accounts payable invoices once routed for approval and entered by Accounting Specialist.
- Prepare monthly close journal entries for review by Finance Manager. Including but not limited to monthly cash activity, credit card expenses, contract accruals, restricted interest, balance sheet adjustments, intercompany activity, etc.
- Maintain balance sheet schedules (prepaids, fixed assets, etc.), prepare monthly reconciliations, and journal entries of all balance sheet accounts for review by Finance Manager.
- Reconcile bank accounts at month end for review by Finance Manager.
- Generate reports for staff on transactions from accounting system, as requested.
- Other close items as assigned by Finance Manager.
- In the absence of the Accounting Specialist or Finance Manager provide back-up coverage where appropriate.
- Work with the Finance Manager to provide support as needed. Examples include but are not limited to financial due diligence reviews and assistance with staff travel trends.
- With the Finance Manager, coordinate all business insurance changes for general liability, professional liability, employment practices liability, workers compensation, etc.
- Assist Finance Department with organizing or providing supporting information to auditors for annual audit as requested.
- Undertake special projects as assigned.
Note: These qualifications are guidelines, not hard and fast rules, so if you have 75% of the qualifications listed, we encourage you to apply. Experience can include paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work that helped you to build the competencies, knowledge, and skills needed for this position. Applying gives you the opportunity to be considered.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, or related field and 3 years of relevant work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Required experience includes:
- Working knowledge of accounting and finance practices
- Ability to reconcile information from different sources
- Ability to analyze information in spreadsheets
- Ability to accurately record information in accounting systems and records
- Strong analytical and mathematical skills.
- Thorough knowledge of office applications, including Word and Outlook. Excellent technology skills and the ability to learn new financial systems and other technology quickly and thoroughly. Intermediate to advanced Excel skills preferred.
- Ability to perform tasks with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Superb judgment and ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive financial information.
- Work efficiently independently and collaboratively as part of a team.
- Ability to adhere to numerous deadlines and manage conflicting priorities. Organizational, multi-tasking, time management, and prioritization skills.
- Strong written and oral communications skills.
- Willingness to learn the business and track the flow of work and communications.
- A commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Positive attitude and a commitment to being part of and building a positive work environment.
- Thrives professionally in an innovative, constantly expanding environment.
- Good judgment and the ability to maintain composure under pressure.
This position may be based in the Sacramento office, or the position may be remote with travel to Sacramento at least quarterly.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
We are committed to providing a work environment free from discrimination, where all team members feel valued, respected, and included. We know that our work is enriched by the varied voices and perspectives of every staff and board member, so we are committed to making an earnest effort to recruit, welcome, train, develop, and retain talented individuals from diverse backgrounds. We believe that a diverse and inclusive culture expands our creative capacity to do our work and achieve greater outcomes for people and the natural world. Learn more about RLF’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion on our website.
As a member of the RLF team, the Finance Manager exemplifies RLF’s values:
- Collaboration – We believe the key to achieving meaningful environmental results and a productive workplace is rooted in humanity—our ability to build effective relationships, listen deeply, respect different perspectives, and elevate new leaders.
- Equity – We value the insight, energy, and innovation of inclusive decision making. Our work seeks to elevate voices and build power within underrepresented communities to help advance a just and equitable future in which leadership reflects the diversity of the world we live in.
- Integrity – We are dedicated to our cause, genuine in our approach, and strive to cultivate a foundation of trust within our organization and with our partners. We believe humility and commitment to ongoing learning keeps us effective in our work.
- Creativity – We embrace a thoughtful, entrepreneurial spirit, seeking innovative ways to solve problems new and old. We are willing to take risks that the times and issues require to achieve lasting results.
- Excellence – We aspire to high standards of quality in everything we do—from internal operations to strategic program implementation. We are attentive to detail and persevere to deliver results on goals we share with funders, partners, and colleagues.
Compensation and Benefits
Starting pay of $30 - $36 per hour, depending on qualifications. Offers are based on the candidate's years of experience and our practice of maintaining internal salary equity. We offer a comprehensive benefit package including medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401k plan, and generous paid time off.
Please provide a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org explaining how your skills fit this position.
RLF requires that employees be vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to visiting or working in an RLF office or conducting any travel or in-person meetings on behalf of our organization. If you are hired for this position, RLF will require proof that you are up to date on COVID-19 vaccinations or have a valid religious or medical reason not to be vaccinated.