The Forum has compiled a list of resources for relief efforts for Hurricane Dorian to support those who have been impacted. Please be sure to share the resources with your members to support the communities during these trying times.
General Disaster Philanthropy Resources
- The Center for Disaster Philanthropy has created a Hurricane Dorian disaster profile can be found here, which provides updates on the storm as well as information on the areas of greatest need.
- The Disaster Philanthropy Playbook is a compilation of philanthropic strategies, promising practices and lessons learned that help communities be better prepared when a disaster strikes their community. In particular, it is aimed at helping philanthropic organizations and individual donors be more strategic with their investments and recognize the importance of supporting long-term recovery for vulnerable populations.
- The Jessie Ball duPont Fund resource Creating Order from Chaos: Roles for Philanthropy in Disaster Planning and Response provides a framework for steps that can be taken for philanthropy to respond to disasters.
- Grantmakers Concerned with Immigrants and Refugees has a brief with analysis and recommendations that apply to any states that have experienced a disaster.
Opportunities to Donate
- The Center for Disaster Philanthropy has launched the CDP 2019 Atlantic Hurricane Season Recovery Fund to support communities that will be affected by Hurricane Dorian. This fund focuses on medium- and long-term recovery, with the understanding that individuals and communities will need the support of private philanthropy for months or years as they navigate the road to recovery.
- Charity Navigator has created a list of high-rated organizations providing aid and relief for Hurricane Dorian for both short-term and long-term relief.
- The Miami Foundation has a Hurricane Dorian relief page with a number of relief and recovery resources.
- Southern California Grantmakers (SCG) has a resource page that was set up by members of SCG and Philanthropy CA.
- Peak Grantmaking has a resource page with additional opportunities to help impacted communities.
- Council on Foundations has released a resource page with response funds, FEMA resources, and other ways to support.
The Bahamas Focused Relief Efforts
- Florida Philanthropy Network has a resource page that includes, and will be updated, on Florida philanthropy funds to support relief efforts in the Bahamas
- The Community Foundation of Palm Beach and Martin Counties has a fund that a donor will contribute matching dollars to support the Bahamas.
- The New York Times has released an article sharing multiple ways to help Hurricane Dorian Survivors in the Bahamas.
North Carolina Focused Relief Efforts
- North Carolina Network of Grantmakers has a resource page that will be updated with more information as Hurricane Dorian approaches North Carolina.
- Hurricane Dorian relief and community resiliency support