Position: Director of Membership
Organization: Mission Investors Exchange
Location: New York, NY (preferred)
Mission Investors Exchange (MIE) is the leading impact investing network for foundations dedicated to deploying capital for social and environmental change. With over 200 members, Mission Investors Exchange leverages its expertise and resources to provide foundations with the education, inspiration, and connections to align more assets to mission. Members rely on Mission Investors Exchange and each other for best practices, new investment opportunities, deal partnerships, and innovations in the practice of impact investing around the world.
The Director of Membership will be a key partner in shaping the strategic direction for membership and our member engagement practices, and be responsible for the day-to-day management of our membership processes. Member engagement is central to MIE’s ability to build our robust and activated network of foundations, other philanthropic asset owners, and their partners. The Director will report to the Managing Director and play an active role on the organization’s leadership team, helping guide MIE’s membership model and overall organizational strategy with a keen eye to members’ needs and experiences throughout all of our programmatic, knowledge and communication, and match-making workstreams.
This is an ideal opportunity for an entrepreneurial and strategic leader with strong experience in member engagement, philanthropy, and knowledge of impact investing to influence the growth and development of a unique and influential community of philanthropic impact investors.
Member Engagement & Relationship Management
- Refine membership criteria and growth goals in alignment with organizational strategy
- Maintain healthy relationships with potential members who are already in the impact investing field or who are looking to get started. Play an active role in recruitment and growing our network when appropriate.
- Manage relationships with senior-level stakeholders at member organizations in collaboration with other MIE team members
- Improve upon and operationalize existing member segments to best target and match members with appropriate resources, communications and programming
- Find the best and most engaging ways MIE can inspire and ignite our members to carry out our mission of deploying more dollars toward deeper impact
- Identify opportunities to activate MIE’s membership to contribute to the advancement of the broader field
- Represent MIE in meetings with stakeholders and at industry events, in both individual and group settings
- Understand the full extent of MIE’s offerings, and member benefit opportunities and be able to communicate this fluidly to potential and existing members.
Drive the annual membership renewal campaign and processes, including developing best practices, planning, communications and streamlining operations in collaboration with team members
Lead the onboarding of new members, including managing relationships from the prospect stage to new members, including leading orientation calls, connecting members with the various aspects of MIE’s programs, and guiding them through the many opportunities to engage with the larger network
Manage systems in Salesforce for membership tracking, prospecting, and analysis including building out systems internally for better information and relationship sharing among MIE members and the MIE team
Strategy and Planning
Lead the development and ongoing refinement of MIE’s membership services and engagement strategy, ensuring responsiveness to the market and alignment with organizational strategy
Oversee translation of strategy into operational plans that are focused and feasible; set and implement short-term and long-term milestones and goals for membership
Serve as a member of the leadership team, contributing to the development of overall organizational strategy and its execution
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- 10+ years of professional experience
- Passion for addressing social and environmental challenges and an appreciation for the power of investment capital to play a catalytic role in this process
- Exceptional strategic thinking skills and a high level of intellectual curiosity
- Demonstrated experience building and maintaining relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders across different geographies
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an engaging presence, along with diplomacy, tact, and good humor
- Knowledge of investment issues and processes, especially impact investing and related strategies
- Entrepreneurial style, with an enthusiasm for working in a fast-paced environment
- Experience in the membership services context ideal, but not required
- Experience working with philanthropic partners/ practitioners ideal, but not required
- Ability to travel domestically (up to 30%)
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree in Business, Finance, Public Policy or related field preferred
Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
If interested, please submit your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Membership Director” in the subject line.
Mission Investors Exchange is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds.
|MIE Membership Director.docx||143.58 KB|