United Philanthropy Forum’s 2018 Key Metrics for Philanthropy-Serving Organizations report provides comprehensive benchmarking data and analyses on the finances, membership, services and programs, operations, and governance of regional and national philanthropy-serving organizations (PSOs), based on the responses of 56 PSOs.
- PSO boards are more diverse than nonprofit boards overall but less diverse than the U.S. population.
- Most PSOs have strategies and resources focused on diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI).
- Restricted grants are largest source of PSO revenue.
- Half of PSO expenses (50%) go to employee salaries and benefits, consistent with the average share reported by ASAE for nonprofit associations overall (49%)
- PSOs remain mostly positive about the economic outlook, but there are small signs of weakness.
- PSOs continue to report fairly high renewal rates and have a positive outlook on membership growth.