United Philanthropy Forum's first-ever 2017 Key Metrics for Philanthropy-Serving Organizations report examines the governence, finances, membership, services and programs, and operations of regional and national philanthropy-serving organizations (PSOs)., based on the responses of 51 PSOs. The report provides PSOs with data, information and knowledge to help them learn from their peers and benchmark themselves against similar organizations, and also provides funders with key data and trends about a critical component of the philanthropy.
Key findings include:
- PSO boards are more diverse than nonprofit boards overall but less diverse than U.S. population.
- Most PSOs have strategies and resources focused on diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Restricted grants are largest source of PSO revenue.
- Nearly half of PSO expenses go to employee salaries and benefits.
- PSOs optimistic on their economic outlook.
- PSOs report fairly high renewal rates.
- PSOs have positive outlook on membership growth.
A one-page highlights and an executive summary are available to the public. The full report is only available to our members and other PSOs who completed the "2017 Forum Compensation, Benefits & Key Metrics Survey". Forum members can also request customized benchmarking reports. The "Key Metrics" report is a companion to the Forum's "Compensation & Benefits" report released earlier this year.