2017 was a year of significant growth and transformation for United Philanthropy Forum. After several years of thoughtful planning, we opened up our membership to national philanthropy-serving organizations (PSOs) last year. We welcomed 32 new members to the Forum network in 2017—nearly doubling our membership. Our expanded network of 65 regional and national PSOs represents more than 7,000 foundations and other philanthropic organizations. Our network has deep connections to just about every region of the country and includes PSOs focused on a broad range of issues, population groups and philanthropic practices. In 2017 we took the first steps towards leveraging the full power of our new network to lead change and increase impact in philanthropy, and we will expand that work in 2018.
In the tradition of setting New Year’s resolutions, here are United Philanthropy Forum’s resolutions for 2018.
In 2018, we resolve to…
- Be courageous. Last month the Forum’s Board of Directors approved a new vision for the Forum: “We envision a courageous philanthropic sector that catalyzes a just and equitable society where all can participate and prosper.” The Forum will reflect courage in everything we do, from our internal processes to our strategic thinking to our leadership.
- Fight to strengthen philanthropy. We will fight for policies that encourage more charitable giving, and fight against proposals that will discourage or inhibit philanthropy.
- Fight for racial equity. We will strive to be the leading connector, convener and collaborative partner for PSOs to advance racial equity, diversity and inclusion in philanthropy.
- Fight for a fair and accurate census. We will engage philanthropy in ensuring a fair and accurate census count in 2020, and oppose any proposals that would depress participation in the census.
- Deepen philanthropy’s impact. We will lead, strengthen and inform our vibrant national network of organizations that advance philanthropy’s impact for the common good, through professional development, networking, research and technology.
- Expand partnership and collaboration. We will catalyze, encourage and facilitate partnerships and collaborations among Forum members to advance philanthropy's impact, providing tools, resources and guidelines along the spectrum of PSO partnership opportunities.
- Be a strong voice in philanthropy. We will use the Forum’s voice to elevate understanding of the role and value of PSOs in the philanthropy field, share our perspectives on critical issues, and amplify our members’ voices and expertise. We will speak out to advance our vision and mission and speak up to uphold our values.
On behalf of the entire Forum team, we look forward to working closely with all of our members, supporters and colleague organizations in 2018 to more fully harness the power of philanthropy as a force for good in our country.
President & CEO, United Philanthropy Forum
Follow me @dbiemesderfer